I'm going to be moving from DC to Seattle in April of next year. I've plotted my route, and I'd like some input on what's worth seeing/tasting/buying/smelling(!) along the way...
So with that in mind, I ask you, the road-trippers of LJ:
What can you recommend along my route?
- From VA on 95, to 495, to 270, to 70 (It's home, I doubt I'll stop much on that stretch)
- Through West VA and Maryland on 68 (past Hagerstown and Cumberland in MD and Morgantown in WV)
- Up 79 past Washington, PA to 70
- 70 through far western PA, Wheeling WV, Ohio (past Columbus), and into Indiana.
- 74 from Indianapolis through Illinois (past Bloomington, Peoria, Moline/Quad Cities)
- 80 from the Quad Cities, past Iowa City and Des Moines
- 29 up to Sioux City and Siox Falls
- 90 across South Dakota, past Mitchell (Corn Palace!), Rapid City and Sturgis; then up into the Northeast corner of Wyoming (Gillette and Sheridan)
- Staying on 90 through Montana (Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Missoula) and past Coeur d'Alene in ID; then through Washington from Spokane to Seattle.
I'm looking for cheap but safe motels, good diners and local eateries, little tourist traps I may not be aware of, stuff like that... Thanks in advance!!!
(cross-posted to my journal, iloveroadtrips, roadjunkie, seattle_ho, and x_country_drive - sorry!)